Innovative Solutions for Treating Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain is an exceedingly common symptom universally felt by all of us at some point in our lives. Ranging from mild, moderate, to severe (and even critical) conditions, abdominal pain can result from a myriad of different reasons, from food not sitting well with your stomach, to infections in your gut, to problems with one of the internal organs within your abdominal cavity, among several other causes. For this reason, it is best to consult a professional to verify that your abdominal pain isn’t caused by a more serious medical issue.
If you happen to experience abdominal pain that won’t respond to over-the-counter medications/home remedies, our adept medical staff at Excel ER have the expertise and experience necessary to appropriately monitor, manage, and ameliorate your gastroenterology-related complications.
Common Causes of Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain can be attributed to several different causes and may vary in severity of pain felt.
It can arise from a vast array of sources with some of the most common causes including:
- Indigestion or food sensitivity
- Food intolerance (such as lactose)
- Food allergies or food poisoning
- Excess gas
- Menstrual cramps
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Kidney stones
- Crohn’s disease
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Gastroenteritis (stomach flu)
When to Seek Medical Attention for Abdominal Pain
In some cases, the abdominal pain you are experiencing is transient and an antacid or other over-the-counter medications can suffice in alleviating your symptoms. Nonetheless, when the pain is unbearable, persistent, or recurrent, you should contact us so our skilled medical team can determine if any internal problems or other serious conditions are causing you to suffer.
Serious symptoms that call for immediate medical assistance include:
- Signs of fever
- Tender or painful to the touch
- Pain lingering for several days
- Breathing difficulties
- Constant vomiting
- Constipation that lasts for days
- Pain during pregnancy
- Yellowing skin
- Frequent and/or painful urination
Diagnostic Testing at Excel ER
For an accurate diagnosis, our emergency care providers will initially need some background information such as when the pain first appeared, its location, duration, and nature of the sensation (stabbing, cramping, etc.,) along with how the level of pain has progressed thus far.
A comprehensive physical examination will also be performed, and the affected area will be pressed gently to check for signs of tenderness or swelling.
Additional tests that may be ordered to accurately diagnose your health status including:
- Laboratory Tests: Specimen samples of blood, urine, or stool may be taken to identify any possible bacterial, parasitic, or viral infections, along with any indications of inflammation or liver or pancreas issues.
- Imaging Tests: Imaging testing such as x-rays, CT scans, MRI scans, and ultrasounds can be ordered to examine the organs and tissues of your abdominal cavity. Our advanced imaging technology is capable of recognizing any signs of inflammation, fractures, ruptures, and even tumors.
- Diagnostic Procedures: If warranted, diagnostic testing such as a colonoscopy, endoscopy, or upper GI dye test will be administered to rule out certain conditions that may be affecting your abdominal region.
Our Team Is Prepared to Help You
Treatment will be determined after completing an accurate diagnosis for the root of your discomfort. Possible treatments can include prescribed medications for specific diseases or disorders, antibiotics to combat any type of gastrointestinal infection, lifestyle changes to aid with intolerance or sensitivity of the stomach, and even surgery for certain conditions such as a hernia or appendicitis. If you need help addressing your abdominal pain and improving your quality of life, inquire with our friendly staff and see how we can assist you in rehabilitating your health!
Call us at (903) 500-7321 if you are experiencing painful abdominal issues, we want to help.
Conveniently Located Throughout Texas
Comprehensive Treatments on Your Time
Family Friendly Environment
Little-to-No Wait Time
Excellent Bedside Manner